Sometimes basics like audio output break after a seemingly minor update on Windows 11. Affected users report that sound has stopped working on Windows 11 whether they select the built-in speaker or the bar external sound to play audio. Previously, Windows 10 users encountered the same no sound issue and we compiled a list of several fixes. Along the same lines, we bring you a step-by-step guide to fix sound issues on Windows 11 in this tutorial. We have discussed different methods to detect the sound problem and how to fix it. So on that note, let’s go ahead and find the solution for users who get no sound on Windows 11.
How to Fix “No Sound” Issue on Windows 11 (2022)
In this comprehensive tutorial, we have included 8 different ways to fix the no sound issue on Windows 11. Follow the tutorial from top to bottom to find a solution that fixes the audio output issue on your PC. Expand the table below and take a look at all the methods we have covered in this guide.
1. Check mute/low volume levels
Many times users don’t realize that the sound might be muted or someone might have lowered the volume to a lower level, well, it gives the impression that the sound is not working in Windows 11. In such cases, you just need to unmute the sound or increase the volume to check if the audio settings are configured correctly. Here’s how.
1. First, use the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut “Windows + A” to open the action center. Here, click the volume button to unmute.
2. Next, Turn up the volume to a higher level and check if the sound issue has been resolved on your Windows 11 PC.
2. Choose the right audio source
The second and most common reason for no sound issue on Windows 11 is audio source incompatibility. You need to select the correct audio source in the Action Center, then Windows 11 will direct the audio to the correct output device. Here’s how to choose the right audio source.
1. Open the Action Center again using the keyboard shortcut “Windows + A”. Here, click on the “The arrow” next to the volume bar.
2. Now, choose audio device that you have connected to your PC and want to use for playback. And that’s it, the no sound issue on your Windows 11 PC will be fixed immediately. If the sound still doesn’t work, try switching between different options or restarting your PC and using this method again.
3. Connect the audio cable to the correct port
Quite often users connect the audio cable to the wrong port which leads to no sound issue on Windows 11. Here is an easy way to connect your device to the correct audio jack. Simply look for the green port behind the CPU, which is your audio output port. Connect the audio jack to the green port.
On the front, connect the audio cable to the port with a headphone label, not a microphone. These ports will allow you to output sound to external audio devices. After connecting the device, make sure you have selected the correct audio output source by following the method explained above.
4. Make sure the playback device is enabled
Sometimes the system audio device is disabled due to some bug or operating system conflict. In such cases, you will have to manually enable the audio device from the control panel. Follow the steps below to learn how it works.
1. Press the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut “Windows + R” to open the Run prompt. Here, type
mmsys.cpl and press Enter. It will directly open the Sound window from the Control Panel.
2. Next, scroll down and find your audio output device. Right-click on it and choose “Activate“.
3. Then you can right-click the device again and select “Testto check if sound is coming through the speaker or headphones you are trying to use with your Windows 11 PC. If sound is not playing, enable other options and test them to find the correct playback device .
5. Adjust Windows 11 Audio Settings
If none of the above methods worked for you, try adjusting sound-related settings from the Windows Settings page. Follow the instructions below to learn how it works:
1. To get started, press the Windows key once and search for “sound”. Now open the “Sound Settings” page.
2. Next, select speaker you want to use as the audio output device on your Windows 11 PC. After that, click on the arrow icon to open the speaker properties window.
3. After that, if you see an “Allow” button in the “General” section, tap it to allow applications on your Windows 11 PC to use this device for audio playback. This will allow your Windows 11 PC to use the built-in speaker.
4. With that done, scroll down and make sure to disable the “Enhance audio” toggle. Sometimes users do not experience any sound issues on Windows 11 when this setting is enabled, so it is best to keep it disabled.
5. Also, disable “Spatial sound” from the drop-down menu as shown in the screenshot below.
6. Use Windows Audio Troubleshooter
1. Open the “Sound” settings page again and scroll down to the “Advanced” section at the bottom. Here you will find the option “Fix common sound problems”. Click on the “exit devices” button next to it.
2. Windows 11 will now start detecting the problem and solve the no sound problem on your PC. You should also try the built-in troubleshooter in case none of the above methods solve the problem for you.
7. Reinstall the audio driver in Windows 11
Some users reported that old audio drivers often break sound on Windows 11. In such cases, you need to manually update the audio driver to the latest version. Here’s how.
1. Press the keyboard shortcut “Windows + X” to open the Quick Links menu and open “Device Manager“.
2. Here, expand the “Sound, video and game controllers” section and right-click on your system’s sound card. It should sound like Realtek or whatever sound card your PC is using. From the context menu, select “Update driver“.
3. On the next page, click “Automatically search for drivers“. If a new update is available for your audio output device, Windows 11 will automatically update it and ask you to restart the PC. Once restarted, the no sound issue should be fixed on Windows 11. For detailed instructions, follow our article on updating drivers on Windows 11.
4. If no update is available, you can try third-party driver update tools for Windows 11. I use IObit Driver Amplifier to update all my drivers, and it works really well.
5. Now if there is no sound on Windows 11 even after reinstalling the driver, right click on the sound device and turn it off. Then restart your PC and reactivate it from Device Manager. This should fix any sound issues you’re having on Windows 11.
8. Restart Windows Audio Service
Finally, if nothing has worked for you so far, try restarting the Windows Audio service. It is a major service that handles everything related to audio on Windows 11. So follow the steps below and see if it works to fix audio output issues on your PC.
1. Use the keyboard shortcut “Windows + R” to open the Run prompt and type
services.msc and press Enter. It will then open the Services window.
2. Here, scroll down and search for “Windows Audio“. Double-click to open Windows Audio Properties. In the pop-up window that now appears, change the startup type to “Automatic” and click on the “Start” button. Now click on Apply -> OK. Then restart your PC and check if the sound not working issue has been resolved or not.
Sound not working in Windows 11? Discover the easy solutions!
So here are the 8 methods you can use to fix no sound issue on Windows 11. I have added all the information you need to fix audio issues whether on a laptop or Windows 11 desktop. I suggest you follow the step by step guide. Anyway, it all comes from us. If you want to speed up Windows 11 or are looking for ways to switch users in Windows 11, check out our related articles. And if you have any questions about sound issues on your PC, let us know in the comments section below.